Veeam Backup & Replication Networking Tool
As an example, let’s assume you want to back up a MS-SQL server guest hosted on vSphere through vSphere snapshots, using the network to interact with the guest and shipping the logs to allow point in time recovery.
Note: On this example, only backup operation is processed. To determine ports necessary for restore, you will have to run the tool a second time, choosing “Restore” at the operations tab.
On the "Operations" tab
- Select “Backup” as this is the primary operation.
- Select “Guest snapshot” as you don’t plan to use an agent or “freeze only” storage integration features. This will involve a proxy for instance.
- Select “vSphere” as it is the proper Hypervisor. This will later allow to ask you how you administer your hypervisor (through vCenter or hosts).
- Select “Network interaction” as opposed to VIX. This will involve a guest interaction proxy role.
- Select “Windows” as the OS hosting the database.
- Select “App. Aware” for the application aware guest interaction.
- Select “MS-SQL” as the application.
- Select “With log shipping”
- Click on “Add to list”
- Click on “Submit”
On the "Infrastructure" tab
On this example:
- Proxy is a windows server using NBD mode
- Hypervisor is managed through vCenter
- Repository is a Linux server
Select the following components until your list is complete and click "Submit".
Creating servers and mapping roles
At this step, create the servers as designed, and populate the role mapping lists accordingly.
Note: in this example we decided not to deploy Enterprise Manager Components by clicking on “Ignore” beside the roles.
Once done click on the “Submit” button to see the results.
And finally download the xls file.